· Cast-on 36 stitches.
· Joining to work in the round, *K2P2* for 20 rounds.
· Knit 1 round.
· *K2tog, YO, K1* and repeat until end of round. (This forms eyelets for inserting a tie.)
· Knit 2 rounds.
Top of foot shaping:
· Next round (set up round): K22, M1, turn. (revised 8/5/2009, was "20")
· Next row (purl short row): Slip 1 as to purl, P8, M1, turn.
· Next row (knit short row): Slip 1 as to purl, K8, M1, turn.
(Note: For mirrored increases, when working M1 on the purl row, insert left needle into bar between prior and next stitch worked from back to front to "make" new stitch; then purl this new stitch. When working M1 on the knit row, insert left needle into bar between prior and next stitch worked from front to back to "make" new stitch; then knit into the back of this new stitch.)
· Work these two rows until there are a total of 52 stitches. Do not turn work after the M1 of the final purl row.
· Slip next stitch onto right needle, bring yarn to opposite side of work, then return the slipped stitch to the left needle. (This is "wrapping" the stitch.) Now turn work.
· Knit to end of round (which will be the back of the bootie).
Sides and bottom of bootie:
· Knit one round, knitting wrapped stitch along with its wrap.
· Knit seven rounds.
· Purl one round.
· Knit one round.
· *P4, P2tog, P14, P2tog, P4* twice.
· *K2tog, K20, K2tog* twice.
· *P3, P2tog, P12, P2tog, P3* twice.
· *K2tog, K16, K2tog* twice.
· *P2, P2tog, P10, P2tog, P2* twice.
· *K2tog, K12, K2tog* twice. (28 stitches)
· Place first 14 stitches of round on one dpn; place the rest of the stitches on a second dpn. Work a three needle bind-off.
· Cut yarn.
· Weave in ends.